Training and Preparation
This page features all problems and possible solutions of the International Youth Math Challenge of previous years. The solutions are mostly example submission of outstanding participants.
Preparation Materials and Books
Our team frequently receives the questions "How should I prepare for the competition?" and "What books would you recommend?". Following skills are required to solve the IYMC problems:
- Creativity and problem-solving skills.
- General mathematical knowledge (e.g. definitions).
- Calculation skills without tools (i.e. final round).
In general, all standard school or university books from your local region are useful and contain all information required to approach the problems. For reference, please have a look at the following list of scripts that address mathematical problem-solving in an intuitive and entertaining way:
- Terence Tao (2006). Solving Mathematical Problems: A Personal Perspective. OUP Oxford. View
- George Pólya (2015). How to Solve It: New Aspect of Mathematical Method. Princeton Press. View
- Titu Andreescu (2003). Mathematical Olympiad Treasures. Birkhauser. View
- Oscar de Wit (2018). Studying Mathematics at University. Download
Problems of 2018